God Speed Aunty Annie!
In days long ago when the main way to travel the world was by sea, like as long ago as the 1960s (!) one went to the dock, said farewells and watched loved ones going aboard. They disappeared for a while, until you saw them again leaning over the rails searching for you. When their eyes caught yours they threw a long coloured streamer for you to catch. You held your end, they held their end and you remained attached until the ship left the dock and your streamers became taut and quickly broke. The colour and fun eased the pain of parting, or was meant to.
You stood on the dock for a long time holding your broken streamer, watching the vessel with its valuable passenger sail out of sight. As it went over the horizon someone always said, “There she goes!” and you went home to continue life without the presence of the one you loved.
This was often the scene when people were travelling between Britain and New Zealand. Sometimes when the boats were arriving in Southampton, England, people stood on the dock waiting for the boat to appear. When she came into sight people would say to each other “Here she comes” and await with joy the coming of their beloved.
Without us preparing the streamers or being given a chance to stand on the dock and catch them, this scene has been played out in our extended family this week and foolishly I hadn’t seen it coming!
My mother died over 40 years ago. In her place I had Aunts.
This week Aunty Annie left us; she was still holding her wool and crochet hook.
On Tuesday we must say, “There she goes” on another shore others will be standing saying, “Here she comes!” They will celebrate for sure this faithful and wise saint.
Her immediate family rejoices and celebrates her life, it is right that they should. But I didn’t see it coming; I didn’t hold a streamer.
I will miss her sorely. My mistake was to think she would live forever……. and of course she will, but on another shore.
You stood on the dock for a long time holding your broken streamer, watching the vessel with its valuable passenger sail out of sight. As it went over the horizon someone always said, “There she goes!” and you went home to continue life without the presence of the one you loved.
This was often the scene when people were travelling between Britain and New Zealand. Sometimes when the boats were arriving in Southampton, England, people stood on the dock waiting for the boat to appear. When she came into sight people would say to each other “Here she comes” and await with joy the coming of their beloved.
Without us preparing the streamers or being given a chance to stand on the dock and catch them, this scene has been played out in our extended family this week and foolishly I hadn’t seen it coming!
My mother died over 40 years ago. In her place I had Aunts.
This week Aunty Annie left us; she was still holding her wool and crochet hook.
On Tuesday we must say, “There she goes” on another shore others will be standing saying, “Here she comes!” They will celebrate for sure this faithful and wise saint.
Her immediate family rejoices and celebrates her life, it is right that they should. But I didn’t see it coming; I didn’t hold a streamer.
I will miss her sorely. My mistake was to think she would live forever……. and of course she will, but on another shore.

5 Comments:
Elizabeth!! This is really really well written. And you didn't even go to the Story-telling classes! You have an art.
That was really beautiful...
Thanks
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
May God bless you as you say goodbye.
Love and prayers
Rebecca
Thank you all. I had heard the story told but not seen it written, tho I am sure it must be, so this was my version.
Post a Comment
<< Home