Rebekah
Last night I heard a teaching on Jacob and the part Rebekah, his mother, played in his life, Genesis 25 pp. In the background was a message of disapproval of the way Rebekah had nurtured in Jacob the desire for the birthright, I have heard similar teachings before, though this did have an extra slant to it that was very helpful.
However, I wonder what we expect Rebekah to have done. I agree that there was too much deception used; surely God’s purposes need not be fulfilled in this way, He will himself bring his word to pass.
As I see it though Rebekah had heard from God during the pregnancy that the twins were to become 2 rival nations and ‘the descendants of your older son will serve the descendants of your younger son.’ She seems to have spent time instilling in Jacob, the twin who stayed at home the most, the fact that the birthright was to be his through a prophecy before his birth. When an opportunity came to ask for anything he wanted it was the birthright that he claimed and Esau ‘was indifferent to the fact that he had given up his birthright’ (verse 34) so it didn’t mean so much to him.
Did Rebekah feel some sort of responsibility to make sure this prophecy was fulfilled? If you were Rebekah and had this prophecy given to you while you were carrying the twins how then would you approach the up bringing of these boys? Would you tell them their destiny? Would you favour the one who was going to be family leader? Remember both of them were going to be leaders of a nation!
I think it brings into focus again the question of how should we receive a prophesy or ‘word of knowledge’ when it is spoken into your life ~ or the life of your children or your close friend?
I have a friend who receives a certain prophecy, or has the ‘prophet’ check if it has happened, once or twice every year. This always destabilises her and those around have to pick up the pieces, I dread it happening knowing what emotional turmoil will follow in its wake.
So how should Rebekah have viewed the prophecy, which was from God himself, and how should we view prophecy about ourselves?
I would appear to any observer to be skeptical, but that would not be an accurate assessment. From experience and from searching the Scriptures it seems to me that we should listen to the prophecy respectfully as it could be from God, if we wish to we could write it down, but in no way should we work towards fulfilling the prophecy, that is up to God and it will happen if He wants it to.
‘So a prophet who predicts peace must carry the burden of proof. Only when his predictions come true can it be known that he was really from the Lord.’ Jeremiah 28:9
Mary hid all the prophecies concerning Jesus in her heart waiting to see their fulfillment.
I think Rebekah would have been the mother of a more harmonious household if she had done the same thing.
However, I wonder what we expect Rebekah to have done. I agree that there was too much deception used; surely God’s purposes need not be fulfilled in this way, He will himself bring his word to pass.
As I see it though Rebekah had heard from God during the pregnancy that the twins were to become 2 rival nations and ‘the descendants of your older son will serve the descendants of your younger son.’ She seems to have spent time instilling in Jacob, the twin who stayed at home the most, the fact that the birthright was to be his through a prophecy before his birth. When an opportunity came to ask for anything he wanted it was the birthright that he claimed and Esau ‘was indifferent to the fact that he had given up his birthright’ (verse 34) so it didn’t mean so much to him.
Did Rebekah feel some sort of responsibility to make sure this prophecy was fulfilled? If you were Rebekah and had this prophecy given to you while you were carrying the twins how then would you approach the up bringing of these boys? Would you tell them their destiny? Would you favour the one who was going to be family leader? Remember both of them were going to be leaders of a nation!
I think it brings into focus again the question of how should we receive a prophesy or ‘word of knowledge’ when it is spoken into your life ~ or the life of your children or your close friend?
I have a friend who receives a certain prophecy, or has the ‘prophet’ check if it has happened, once or twice every year. This always destabilises her and those around have to pick up the pieces, I dread it happening knowing what emotional turmoil will follow in its wake.
So how should Rebekah have viewed the prophecy, which was from God himself, and how should we view prophecy about ourselves?
I would appear to any observer to be skeptical, but that would not be an accurate assessment. From experience and from searching the Scriptures it seems to me that we should listen to the prophecy respectfully as it could be from God, if we wish to we could write it down, but in no way should we work towards fulfilling the prophecy, that is up to God and it will happen if He wants it to.
‘So a prophet who predicts peace must carry the burden of proof. Only when his predictions come true can it be known that he was really from the Lord.’ Jeremiah 28:9
Mary hid all the prophecies concerning Jesus in her heart waiting to see their fulfillment.
I think Rebekah would have been the mother of a more harmonious household if she had done the same thing.

1 Comments:
I fully agree, if the word was from God then it would happen without our intervention.
Post a Comment
<< Home