So why am I crying?
When can you regard your parenting as successful? Well, one of the clever people said that when our children are fully capable of independent living we have done a good job.
James and I have 4 capable-of-independent-living children. Our children have all moved out and we are enjoying the tranquility, peacefulness, predictability and tidiness of our own independent living.
So why am I crying?
Let me take you back nearly 100 years to when I was a student nurse in the Maternity Ward at Burwood Hospital. One day a small, bright, sparrow like, lady obstetrician came in to do a delivery. It was the first time I had seen Miss Croxford and I was charmed. If ever I had babies she was the one I wanted to deliver them. Yes, she was really special; on retirement she received the OBE.
Later I had 2 beautiful babies but they were born in Dunedin while Miss Croxford worked in Christchurch.
Ten years after that another baby was on her way and we were in Christchurch. Miss Croxford was in attendance when, on that unforgettable evening, 8pm, 30th August, 1980 Sharyn Elizabeth was born. She weighed 10 ½ lb and was born with a hand coming first thus increasing the circumference but not a problem for Miss Croxford.
I hardly slept that night waiting for the morning and our first live baby in 10 years. When they brought Sharyn to me my first thought was “YES! She is as lovely as I remember from last night!” All day I played dolls with her, what a precious day leading to 25 wonderful years. She is dearly loved.
Sharyn is capable-of-independent-living. She is getting nearly all A’s at University with a view to putting right world poverty. She works to support herself, drives her own car, lives the Christian life and has a great friendship group. She went flatting a couple of months ago. Today is her birthday. Happy, happy birthday Sharyn!
So why am I crying? No reason.
James and I have 4 capable-of-independent-living children. Our children have all moved out and we are enjoying the tranquility, peacefulness, predictability and tidiness of our own independent living.
So why am I crying?
Let me take you back nearly 100 years to when I was a student nurse in the Maternity Ward at Burwood Hospital. One day a small, bright, sparrow like, lady obstetrician came in to do a delivery. It was the first time I had seen Miss Croxford and I was charmed. If ever I had babies she was the one I wanted to deliver them. Yes, she was really special; on retirement she received the OBE.
Later I had 2 beautiful babies but they were born in Dunedin while Miss Croxford worked in Christchurch.
Ten years after that another baby was on her way and we were in Christchurch. Miss Croxford was in attendance when, on that unforgettable evening, 8pm, 30th August, 1980 Sharyn Elizabeth was born. She weighed 10 ½ lb and was born with a hand coming first thus increasing the circumference but not a problem for Miss Croxford.
I hardly slept that night waiting for the morning and our first live baby in 10 years. When they brought Sharyn to me my first thought was “YES! She is as lovely as I remember from last night!” All day I played dolls with her, what a precious day leading to 25 wonderful years. She is dearly loved.
Sharyn is capable-of-independent-living. She is getting nearly all A’s at University with a view to putting right world poverty. She works to support herself, drives her own car, lives the Christian life and has a great friendship group. She went flatting a couple of months ago. Today is her birthday. Happy, happy birthday Sharyn!
So why am I crying? No reason.

2 Comments:
ooooh Mum you are the greatest! Everything I am, I learned from you! Well, not everything, but all the most important things.
(Like ironing, and how to poach an egg.....)
;-)
PS
I LOVE YOUR BLOG! Keep 'clogging'.
Post a Comment
<< Home