Name:
Location: New Zealand

Monday, April 03, 2006

Start with the Toothpaste

For a number of years now I have always put the top back on the toothpaste, hung up my clothes at night or put them out for washing, changed the dish cloth every day or 2, used bread crusts, saved stamps for missions and done all the ironing.

So why would I blog (boast) about that? Isn't it only what I should do?

It is for you to learn something good, before you become, what the lovely Shannon calls 'an ancient sage.'

It is like this: I prepare and teach spoken English every Thursday throughout the term; I also jointly facilitate a Search for Life course every Monday morning and for both of these I need to prepare resources.

Right up until the beginning of this year I would carefully prepare and share the needed resources and when I came home I put them on my desk. As the term progressed I could no longer use my desk, it became covered with (to me) valuable papers and folders, which I would need again if not this year then next year. If I was busy in the term holidays the papers remained on my desk, by the end of term 2 I drowned in papers ~ yet I still put the top on the toothpaste every time I used it.

Through a series of events, when I came home from Thailand all my papers were stowed in boxes. In a spare room in the house was a three story empty filing cabinet and I had to do some sorting both to tidy the room and find my resources. I did.

Now I not only put the top back on the toothpaste, hang up my clothes at night, change the dish cloth, use bread crusts, save stamps for missions and do all the ironing I EASILY find the resources I need for the 2 teaching slots each week and simply put them away before the week is up.

To be organised is so soothing, so uplifting, gives one a serenity of soul not evident before, (and maybe not even now) a security when precious resources can be quickly located.

My advice to you is don't get old being untidy with paper work, try this for a term and see how useful it is. Somehow it spills over to other areas, like the inside of my car is always tidy now, the lawns are mowed regularly and the pegs don't die on the wet ground but are picked up and put in their container. I have learnt IT IS NICE TO BE TIDY.

But then maybe I am starting to talk about the empty nest syndrome and that is worthy of a whole new blog .................... someday.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home