Name:
Location: New Zealand

Saturday, February 18, 2006

But wait, there's more

I realise I have stopped writing about HIV/AIDS without giving any insight into what Christians in Thailand are doing for people suffering with this disease. I think the best way to handle it is to tell you that we spent a morning at the Agape Home founded and led by a wonderful American woman, Avis Rideout, who talked faith into my heart and money out of my pocket! Wow, how I would love to have this woman as speaker at our Ladies Weekend.

Avis and her husband, whom I understand is also a totally full on, in your face Christian, have children of their own and in addition they adopted a dying HIV+ baby whom they named Nikki. Nikki is now 12 years old and the web site to understand more of what these people are doing is www.NikkisPlace.org There you can link up with Nikki's story and the functioning of the Agape Home, it was a marvelous antidote for us after Lopburi.

Some of you have asked me about the use of drugs there for HIV/AIDS people and I am sorry to say I knew so little that I didn't think to ask and no one ever mentioned drugs as a possible help. Perhaps they are too expensive in Thailand for so many people.

I have also been asked why we ever went to the first AIDS hospital. We did not know the starkness of what we would see. We had lunched at a General Hospital during that week with a view to encouraging the Christians there, that visit was as it would be if a small group lunched in the dining area at Christchurch Hospital. In being taken to the AIDS Hospital we, as leaders, didn't realise it would be any different. (You can imagine how concerned we all were on the way to the Agape Home, AIDS Orphanage!

God is Sovereign and He allowed us to see what we did, I keep my trust in Him.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home