Pigeon Holed!
Recently in a group setting I was labeled a housewife.
I took exception to it.
Why?
Because I have lived in several houses but never been married to any of them, I am not a housewife. I am James’ wife.
The houses we have lived in, have become homes for our family to live in, therefore I call myself a Homemaker ~ just look on the Electoral Roll!
I heard a sermon not long ago in which the Pastor was saying that the work we do should not label us for whom we are, we do such a variety of valuable things as Christians that no one of them should distinguish us unless we choose to let it. He concluded by saying that he was okay with being introduced as Pastor ---------. But after that in the conversation he would prefer to be called by his Christian name alone. As he pointed out he does not call other people by the work they do, Builder John, Drain layer Richard, Teacher Kevin or World Traveler Vance!
I have never been married to a house; very few women are, just call me in time for coffee and I will be satisfied. I take a trim flat white :)
I took exception to it.
Why?
Because I have lived in several houses but never been married to any of them, I am not a housewife. I am James’ wife.
The houses we have lived in, have become homes for our family to live in, therefore I call myself a Homemaker ~ just look on the Electoral Roll!
I heard a sermon not long ago in which the Pastor was saying that the work we do should not label us for whom we are, we do such a variety of valuable things as Christians that no one of them should distinguish us unless we choose to let it. He concluded by saying that he was okay with being introduced as Pastor ---------. But after that in the conversation he would prefer to be called by his Christian name alone. As he pointed out he does not call other people by the work they do, Builder John, Drain layer Richard, Teacher Kevin or World Traveler Vance!
I have never been married to a house; very few women are, just call me in time for coffee and I will be satisfied. I take a trim flat white :)

3 Comments:
Elizabeth, you are gorgeous! Thank you for the reminder to whom we belong - as I read recently in a bookshop - "My boss is a Jewish Carpenter"
Thanks for giving me a chuckle to start my day!
Blessings
Andrea
Hi Elizabeth,
It doesn't fare well for 'Postman Pat' then, does it?
Anita :)
.......and is Bob the Builder in jeopardy too?
Post a Comment
<< Home