Name:
Location: New Zealand

Monday, February 12, 2007

Who doesn't have an umbilicus?

In Melbourne I was taken to the city art gallery. In art my edumication is sadly lacking so I copied the people there and wandered from picture to picture. I was looking at what appeared to me to be pen drawings from, the write up said, the 15th Century. Why had they kept them so long? There must be something outstanding amongst them for sure.

I came across Adam & Eve. Now I was on firmer ground. I examined it for some indication of what the artist thought about Adam & Eve. It surprised me that they both had an umbilicus ~ tummy button. If there were anything to set Adam & Eve apart from the rest of mankind forever, the absence of this feature would be it; any naked person could be drawn with a fig leaf, a snake and long hair in a garden but one thing that Adam & Eve would not have had was a tummy button.

I told Jeremy when I got back and he fell about laughing, “Only you, Mum, would notice that!”

Really?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home