Name:
Location: New Zealand

Saturday, March 19, 2011

Rise Up Christchurch

Yesterday Joanna and I went to the memorial service in Hagley Park. We went early to find a good seat and listen to the music. We were there about 4 memorable hours.

It did not really feel like a memorial service to me; some bodies are not yet recovered, we are still discovering that we knew, maybe distantly, people who died and in a certain way we are still trying to come right ourselves within our own neighbourhoods before we can look further afield.
In writing that it seems selfish but it just feels to me there is only so much one can grasp and still keep on coping.

We saw videos of the centre of Christchurch, there were familiar street names but the destroyed buildings looked like some distant city where bombs had gone off. I was horrified afresh to think how badly damaged it is within the cordoned off area.

I do understand that we can grieve, then take a new look at the city and rebuild the centre to make it safer and add blended beauty to all the architecture. Jeremy wrote recently of how tasteful some modern architecture is as we start again, and I have realised he is right.

Back to yesterday, we had Bob & John, William of course and even Julia came. Dame Malvina (as known to James :) sang and so did Hayley, also a Maori lady sang How Great Thou Art with all her heart and soul and it was magnificent. We honoured the rescue workers, the Police, the Sallies ~ though I do understand that most of us in Christchurch are Quakers these days whatever our nominated religion ~ and those who died, so we did it right.

Today I don't feel like it was a memorial service though but a kind of celebration that we are all still linked into life, we are bound together in the bundle of life, to enjoy each other whether we know one another or not. As Joanna & I sat amongst the thousands (thanx for the seat Jo!) the lady next door gave us chocolate, we teased another guy and connected with a Granny and her 2 adult Granddaughters who gave chips to some Australian Police nearby, everyone was our friend. There was a feel-good factor that reigned and an assurance that we will get through this.

Someone read from Romans 8:
'None of this fazes us because Jesus loves us.
I'm absolutely convinced that nothing—nothing living or dead, today or tomorrow, high or low, thinkable or unthinkable—absolutely nothing can get between us and God's love because of the way that Jesus our Master has embraced us.'
Whether it was a memorial or a celebration I recon the sign drifting in the skies above us is true, Christchurch we can rise up again!
Thank you God.

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

It was a really lovely day, I'm so glad we went. It was a very special moment when the entire crowd stood and applauded the rescue workers as they arrived, without initiation, plan or request. I don't think I'll ever forget the houses we saw on our way home either. The one that used to be 2 stories and the bottom floor had completely compacted or the big white house on a lean.

"Rise Up" is a good saying. It covers the fact that we are still not on our feet in so many ways.

Tuesday, 22 March, 2011  

Post a Comment

<< Home