Name:
Location: New Zealand

Saturday, May 26, 2007

A Morning with Robert Wicks

As I dressed yesterday I pondered afresh the sometimes haphazard way that I order my life.

A number of weeks ago a friend suggested we go to a seminar on a Friday morning way distant on the calendar. I asked “How much?” when most people would have first asked “What on?” The price was right so we decided to go, it was so far down the track I had plenty of time to ask the superficial “What on?” but what with one thing and another I never got onto that question and yesterday the day arrived.

As I looked over the type of people there I really hoped I wasn’t in for a morning of silent meditation, I would rather go for a walk. A priest introduced a man who turned out to be an American with the serious faced wit of Woody Allen at his best; a theologian/psychotherapist who has written such books as Touching the Holy, Riding the Dragon and Crossing the Desert.

What a fabulous morning! It was so cleverly presented with quotes from all over to bring home the points, I drank it all in.

2 Examples:
Two men were watching Desmond Tutu, one said to the other “He is a holy man,” “How do you know?” asked his companion. “BECAUSE WHEN I AM WITH HIM I AM HOLY TOO.” As we live out our lives what we have can spread to those we mix with. I saw the value of the many times I have sung with all my heart ‘Let the beauty of Jesus be seen in me!’ Joy, love, hope and yes, holiness, we can only give what we already have.

A lady was receiving help for prolonged sexual abuse in her childhood. After many visits over a long time she was finally on her last visit. The therapist asked her to look at him as if he were a mirror and describe what she saw. She described a bubbly woman filled with joy, love and deep experiences. The therapist asked how this change had happened and the client was surprised he didn't know. “No,” he said, “you tell me how.”
“Well,” she said, “WHEN I FIRST CAME I WATCHED HOW YOU SAT WITH ME THEN I SAT WITH MYSELF THE SAME WAY!”
How important it is to show respect AND to learn to sit comfortably with ourselves.

Long blogs don’t get read, I had better stop but if you want more read one one his books, it will be worth it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home