I've slipped
Over the passed month I have changed churches.
It feels so strange.
As if a silent transaction has taken place.
As if no one has noticed.
I leave a huge story behind.
From cult mentality and appearance to present day Christian.
Fifteen years of growth and friendships, of confused struggle and increasing insight.
From acceptance and affirmation, to the final meeting I ran, when I realised respect and support for me had faded and I knew it was God’s timing to hand to the group the resignation I had prepared.
And so the penultimate step had been taken and the door was open for me to move on.
My husband and I talk with the Pastor, a kind farewell to me with his blessing and I step away. I still return when James wants me to go with him.
But my focus has shifted to the area of ministry I am most strongly called to and which is wide open to me elsewhere.
There is pain in the parting. So much has happened, unrecorded, left to pass unknown into history. Big things, unspoken. Things that have impacted the church; bits and pieces that I have instigated when in the leadership team, still apparent there today but now just part of the church makeup. It feels sad that no one wants to know the bullet points of these last 15 years, though who would and why would they. I have left unnoticed. God knows it all and can be glorified.
I was in Australia the Sunday my name appeared as having joined the new church family; I slipped in quietly. I am so glad to be part of such a growing and functioning church; I love the vision of the leadership and really want to help it happen.
Yet someone did care that I had left, I saw the tears in the eyes of my dear friend when I mentioned it.
And someone was glad I had arrived, I saw the joy in eyes of another close friend that I had, after several years of living on the fringe, arrived!
It is a very big thing emotionally to slip from one church to another, I wonder how we as a church family could do it better.
It feels so strange.
As if a silent transaction has taken place.
As if no one has noticed.
I leave a huge story behind.
From cult mentality and appearance to present day Christian.
Fifteen years of growth and friendships, of confused struggle and increasing insight.
From acceptance and affirmation, to the final meeting I ran, when I realised respect and support for me had faded and I knew it was God’s timing to hand to the group the resignation I had prepared.
And so the penultimate step had been taken and the door was open for me to move on.
My husband and I talk with the Pastor, a kind farewell to me with his blessing and I step away. I still return when James wants me to go with him.
But my focus has shifted to the area of ministry I am most strongly called to and which is wide open to me elsewhere.
There is pain in the parting. So much has happened, unrecorded, left to pass unknown into history. Big things, unspoken. Things that have impacted the church; bits and pieces that I have instigated when in the leadership team, still apparent there today but now just part of the church makeup. It feels sad that no one wants to know the bullet points of these last 15 years, though who would and why would they. I have left unnoticed. God knows it all and can be glorified.
I was in Australia the Sunday my name appeared as having joined the new church family; I slipped in quietly. I am so glad to be part of such a growing and functioning church; I love the vision of the leadership and really want to help it happen.
Yet someone did care that I had left, I saw the tears in the eyes of my dear friend when I mentioned it.
And someone was glad I had arrived, I saw the joy in eyes of another close friend that I had, after several years of living on the fringe, arrived!
It is a very big thing emotionally to slip from one church to another, I wonder how we as a church family could do it better.

5 Comments:
Happened on this blog and I agree that it is very painful changing churches. No matter how gently you left it feels like you are an enemy in one and anonymous for a long time in the other!
Thank God for friends with tears in their eyes, they really count for something!!
I know exactly what you mean. Unfortunately thru no plan of ours we have changed churches 3 times in 8 years. I feel like I need a CV with me so people know that I am not one of those pew warmers. I have been active, I have changed things for good, I have emotionally bled for the churches I have been part of in the past, I have had successes and failures which are now unseen. I keep reminding myself (especially when people look at me as if I have without their permission come into their spot, their possie) that I am serving God and everything I have done and dreamed for the churches I have been a part of was for his Glory and he will give me any reward that I have earned and it is not about what people around me think. BUT.... it still hurts - lots sometimes and I still wish, on occasion, that I could walk back into the place where I was known and feel comfortable again but then I realise I could never be comfortable there again. Just remember Elizabeth your legacy lives one even if the ones experiencing what you birthed don't know you or know what you did for them. You were part of God's plan for your life and God's plan for Opawa and now it is time to move with God to the next phase. My love and prayers are with you. May you be led and blessed in your new church home.
Oh my, that was a beautiful comment which has touched my heart and truly blessed me. I do not know who you are but I so appreciate your thoughts. Yes, what I did was fulfill the piece of the jigsaw that was part of God's great plan for Opawa; how blessed I am in that. I leave now with much more peace in the situation, THANK YOU! If I find you I owe you a coffee :)
Elizabeth
Am glad I helped, Elizabeth. And yes you do know me.
Karen
I haven't been on your blog for sometime, & just happened to come on tonight... I'm glad I did. My heart goes out to you too. I'm sorry you didn't get the reconciliation & relationship you wanted with your brother. Isn't life full of mixed suprises? Big hugs from me xoxo
ps - your part & influence in my life will always be remembered & appreciated. May you know His peace in this new season of your life :) Love Amy
Post a Comment
<< Home