Name:
Location: New Zealand

Monday, September 05, 2005

Goodbye Mavis

Mavis died this morning. When I am very old I hope I am as sweet and gentle as Mavis. She was always smiling as if she was pleased to be noticed so I made sure that I ‘noticed’ her often. She seemed very old but I don’t think she was.

About 4 years ago she came to our Ladies Weekend. Saturday afternoon we had free hours to do whatever we wanted to. My younger daughters have accumulated a box of nail polish of every hue. I take that box to the Ladies Weekend and at some stage we do the girly thing and paint our own or each other’s nails. Mavis happened along. She had the air of one not expecting to be included but just wanting to watch. I think when Mavis was young it was probably sinful to paint your nails.

On Saturday night we have a formal, candle light dinner.
“What colour are you wearing tonight Mavis?”
“Green.”
“Just sit here.”
So I painted her nails. I don’t know if her nails had ever been painted before and certainly not green! It was very special to be this close to someone so tender in heart, she glowed and I loved the experience so much that maybe I did too.

Now, this morning, she left us. What will she be doing right now? When Jesus was on the cross He told the repentant thief “TODAY you will be in paradise with me.” (Luke 23:43)

In 1 Thessalonians 4 Paul said he could tell us directly from God (v15) that when Jesus comes again ‘The dead in Christ will rise first and those who are still alive will all be caught up together to meet the Lord in the air.’

Is Mavis then sleeping until that day?
Or with Jesus in Paradise?
As a saintly one in robes?
As a Bride?
A child of the King?
With a new body, face?
Has she her new name already? (Revelation 2:17b)

What do you think?

I wonder if a lot of Scripture is almost deliberately vague for us to ponder over.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I treaure the memory of her smile, and can imagine her pleasure in her painted nails experience! (Wonder if she - or another tender angel - has painted them rainbow colours for her welcome-dinner with the King)

Tuesday, 06 September, 2005  
Blogger ElizabethB said...

That's a great thought! Thanx

Wednesday, 07 September, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home